|Location||Barnet, London (North), N3 1LQ|
|Where the role is based||Mainly at home|
|Travel limit||Within London|
TESYouth is a young and ambitious community interest company dedicated to improving the lives of young people aged 18-25. We seek a Chair with vision, experience and commitment to help us grow our organisation and achieve our goals.
The Board is looking for a Chair who will really help us to make a difference in the next stages of our development. TESYouth's skills and knowledge workshops combined with mentoring and work experience provide a much needed bridge to employment or self-employment for the disadvantaged, unskilled and unemployed.
We are therefore seeking someone who can provide strategic leadership as well as contribute skills in the area of good governance, financial oversight, fundraising and business development.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- ensuring that TESYouth has maximum impact for its beneficiaries
- establishing a clear strategic direction so that business development opportunities are maximised and clear objectives set
- putting in place systems to assess opportunities and risks, to monitor progress, achievements and quality and to ensure financial accountability and transparency.
- ensuring the Board works efficiently and effectively as a team maintaining open and supportive relationships within the Board and with the Chief Executive
- acting as an ambassador for TESYouth and representing the organisation at external functions and events
- ensuring that the organisation complies with its objects, company law, and all relevant legislation, regulations and policies
- developing the knowledge and capability of the Board and the CEO through leading and mentoring Board members and enabling access to training/coaching/information to enhance the overall performance of the Board and the organisation
- carrying out an annual appraisal of the Board's performance and that of the CEO
- maintaining regular contact with the CEO and developing an open and supportive relationship within which each can speak openly about concerns, worries and challenges
- ensuring that the Board is refreshed and incorporates the right balance of skills, knowledge and experience needed to lead the organisation effectively
- maximising opportunities for the development of TESYouth presented by digital & technological development
- maintaining careful oversight of any risk to rreputation and/or financial standing of the organisation
- Financial management
- Business development
- Fundraising strategy
- Lecturing / public speaking
- Marketing strategy
- Volunteer management
- Strategic development and planning
- Mentoring / coaching
- Demonstrates passion, commitment and energy to TESYouth, its strategic objectives and cause
- Personal gravitas to provide strategic leadership whilst adhering to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability and willingness to listen but also to challenge and criticise constructively
- Ability & willingness to commit time to conduct the role well, including travel and attending events out of office hours
- Good independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively in the context of TESYouth and the external environment
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of TESYouth
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment and respect the confidences of colleagues
- non-profit governance and working as Chair or as a member of a Board of Directors/Trustees/Governors
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
- operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- external representation, delivering presentations and managing stakeholders
- successful fund-raising and income generation
- managing volunteers
- successful team building
- performance management
Knowledge and skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Civil Society sector and current issues affecting it
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate Board members, staff, and volunteers – bringing people together
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of finance issues affecting a social enterprise
- Good understanding of the role that digital strategy can play in business development
- Good understanding of legal issues affecting community interest companies and their environment
What impact the opportunity will have
TESYouth is a young organisation which has had a number of successes. To date a Board member has been acting as Chair pending a permanent appointment and the Board sees this as an opportunity also to strengthen the Board's skills base to help the organisation in the next stages of its development.
A new Chair will therefore have the opportunity to make a difference to and have real impact on TESYouth's work with its beneficiaries. TESYouth is looking specifically to extend its reach and maximise resources through fundraising and business development opportunites in order to broaden and enhance its offer to young people.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
Our vision for TESYouth is to create a pioneering, creative and sustainable open access Youth Skills Hub for young people in North London to provide a base from which to develop skills, aptitudes and self-confidence through training, skills workshops and work experience.
If you share our vision, this is an opportunity to contribute your skills and experience to making a real difference to the lives of young people by helping them to overcome the barriers they face in obtaining employment or self- employment and the route to a better life.
Either in or out of office hours
4 Board meetings/year + regular meetings and contact with the CEO and members of the 2 sub-committees (finance and marketing).
At the present time TESYouth operates mainly in north London from a base in Barnet. However, it does also work in other areas of London and plans to extend the geographical scope of its work.