Organisation: St Gregory's Foundation
|Location||Maida Vale , London (West), W9 1JB|
|Where the role is based||Mainly at home|
|Travel limit||As long as the candidate can travel to London for meetings, locality is not an issue.|
|Application deadline||30 Sep 2017|
The Treasurer is responsible for the financial oversight of this small charity working with young people in Russia and Georgia. No knowledge of Russian required but an interest in Russia would be an advantage.
The Treasurer will be one of nine trustees; the Board meets 3-4 times a year in London and the Treasurer is expected to attend these meetings and prepare financial reports. The Treasurer's role is a strategic one in terms of financial oversight and planning but also requires a "hands on" approach for updating our records on our Quick Books management system. This system enables us to analyse donations and is an essential tool for assessing the success of fund-raising initiatives, preparing Gift Aid reports, budget planning and the preparation of the annual accounts.
The role is well supported by our Executive Secretary who is a paid employee. Her pay and pension are managed by a payroll services company. Previous Treasurers continue to be involved in the charity and can also offer support.
- We need someone who can carry out the following tasks:
- Manage the Bank Accounts and pay transfers and bills.
- Oversee Book Keeping on Quick Books online
- Pay in and acknowledge some donations
- Paper records- maintain a paper trail of financial transactions
- Oversee Gift aid applications three or four times a year
- Donors - monitor donors for fundraising opportunities
- Meetings - attend quarterly meetings held in central London or Maida Vale.
- Prepare paperwork and records for the annual accounts
- You will liaise with the outgoing Treasurer, our paid Executive Secretary, Book Keeper, Payroll Company and the other Directors.
- Financial management
- Fundraising events
- Fundraising strategy
- Accountancy skills
- Attention to detail as well as the ability to take a strategic view.
- Knowledge of fund-raising would be an advantage.
- Although each director has their own area of expertise, we would like someone who can work as part of a team and enjoys meeting people.
What impact the opportunity will have
The Treasurer plays a vital part in the life of the charity. St Gregory's ethos is to help people to help themselves and to use relatively small amounts of money to maximum effect. Our work has made a great difference to the lives of young people who are marginalised in society.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
Opportunity to learn about Russia and Georgia and possibility of visiting projects and seeing something of these interesting countries. Meeting other directors, our patrons and partners and other colourful personalities.
Either in or out of office hours
Board meetings: 3-4 times a year in London. Average time: 1-2 hours Average: 2 hours a week; busier around Board meetings and end of financial year.
St Gregory's was founded in 1991; our founder is a member of the Russian Orthodox church but our organisation is not religious and does not discriminate on religious grounds. For historical reasons, some of our projects are delivered through a parish in Kondopoga in NW Russia and many, but by no means are all, of our supporters orthodox Christians.