Organisation: Martin Fisher Foundation
|Location||Brighton, West Sussex, BN1 3XG|
|Where the role is based||Mainly at home|
|Travel limit||Ideally located in the Brighton area|
|Application deadline||15 Jun 2017|
Apply your knowledge of Institutional, Foundations and Trusts or Corporate fundraising and help the Martin Fisher Foundation achieve its goal, working together Towards Zero HIV in Brighton & Hove.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, committed Trustee with knowledge and experience of fundraising from institutional donors and corporates, and/or trusts and foundations, to join the Board. This Trustee will take an active role to help direct the Foundation’s Fundraising Strategy, enabling us to expand further and consolidate our work and drive the charity forward in its ambitious future plans.
The ideal candidate will have innovative ideas and be able to think creatively. All Trustees are expected to assist the Foundation to secure a sustainable and diverse funding base for the organisation.
Currently the Martin Fisher Foundation has one research programme, but expects to fundraise for several more research studies working across the city, it will also be fundraising to facilitate the coordination of the Stakeholders to roll out the Towards Zero Strategy in Brighton & Hove. The work will focus on five key areas: reducing Stigma, increasing HIV testing, and improving access to PreP, Peer & Patient Support and Championing Research & Evaluation.
- To assist the Board to see the bigger picture; bring a fresh perspective to fundraising plans and strategy, support the organisation’s fundraising ambitions.
- To ensure fundraising is of the highest standard and priority.
- Contribute to the development of the fundraising strategy and oversee the implementation of the Institutional and Corporate, Trusts & foundations components
- Monitor fundraising progress and hold fundraisers to account and ask the right questions about fundraising strategy and implementation.
- Strategically assess where fundraising fits into the overall organisation strategy and to work with senior fundraising staff to ensure effective income generation is being achieved.
- Contributing knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies,
- Carry out risk assessment at every fundraising stage, especially when considering new or ambitious fundraising strategies.
- Network on behalf of the Foundations to help secure fundraising opportunities and insights
The Board is composed of 13 members with backgrounds in HIV treatment, care and support, and research.
- Business development
- Fundraising strategy
- Researching funders / writing proposals
- Business advice / analysis
- Someone with sufficient institutional donor or corporate fundraising/income-generation knowledge and/or business development background or having run a medium size business.
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance, Charity Commission, Companies House requirements, relevant legislations and statutory requirements.
- An understanding of the challenges facing small to medium UK charities in maximising income streams & donor cultivation.
- Experience of diverse fundraising practices, including statutory funds, corporate and philanthropic giving would be valuable.
- Excellent networking skills, influencing and communication skills.
- Knowledge of digital or social media.
- Knowledge of the voluntary sector.
- A thorough understanding of the Code of Fundraising Practice.
What impact the opportunity will have
The Martin Fisher Foundation was launched in October 2015 to provide a structure for the huge amount of good will and determination felt by many people across the community in Brighton & Hove and beyond, to progress the inspirational work and innovative research in HIV which Martin Fisher had developed. His vision was for Brighton and Hove to become a Fast Track City and we’re delighted this was achieved in December 2016. The ultimate aim is to have a city without HIV/AIDS in the future.
Fundraising is a key component to ensuring this vision becomes a reality.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a young and ambitious board based in Brighton.
The Martin Fisher Foundation vision is to move TOWARDS ZERO HIV stigma, ZERO new HIV infections and ZERO deaths from HIV in Brighton & Hove by 2025. It is currently working with stakeholders to develop a ‘Towards Zero HIV’ strategy and implementation plan that will set out ways in which everyone can contribute to these important inspirational goals.
Mostly outside office hours
3-4 Board meetings/year with alternate sub-committee meetings that the Fundraiser would be expected to co-chair, additional work of around 6 hours
You can read more about the charity, our work and the issues around HIV and getting TOWARDS ZERO HIV on our website. The Strategy document was reviewed on 25th November 2016 by Stakeholders in Brighton, since then it has been out for public consultation and is now being updated with a view to publishing in June 2017.
Additional application instructions
Please supply a covering letter detailing your experience, suitability for the role and why you would like to be involved with the Martin Fisher Foundation Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within two weeks of the deadline.