Headway South Bucks is an independent local charity affiliated to Headway UK with the mission of providing services for people who have acquired a brain injury, whether through sporting, work or road traffic accidents, assault, illness or disease.
The effects of brain injury can be wide ranging causing physical, cognitive, behavioural and emotional changes. Every injury is unique, there is no 'one size fits all' rehabilitation solution for the survivor. However, the effects of brain injury are life altering for the survivor and their family. HSB aims to help survivors regain their greatest possible independence through provision of services, whilst supporting and advising their carer and family. It has been documented that two thirds of relationships break down due to the challenges of coping with life following brain injury.
We run a Resource Centre three days a week, welcoming brain injury survivors at various stages of their recovery and providing:
- a friendly, welcoming and non-judgemental meeting place for clients
- an opportunity for clients to improve their social and cognitive skills
- support and respite for carers
- activities and social outings geared towards achieving personal goals and relearning skills - sometimes years after the injury occurred.
We also have a Carer's Support Programme designed to help and support carers of our brain injured clients, providing information, networking opportunities and tailored care and support.
- Counselling / advice
- Health and well being / research and care
- Learning disabilities / difficulties
- Mental health
- Physical disabilities
- Social care