Marriage Care cares about marriage, relationships and family life. We believe that our lives are enriched by fulfilling and committed relationships. We also know how easily relationships can become a source of conflict and distress and how vital timely support can be. We are a national charity, offering relationship counselling and marriage preparation services to all regardless of ability to pay.
Our vision dares to hope for “...a society in which all adults can build and sustain strong, fulfilling, healthy couple relationships”.
We have a Christian ethos, by which we mean that:
• We acknowledge the value and uniqueness of every human being. Love, respect, forgiveness and the need to work for peace and justice underpin our work.
• Inspired by our Catholic heritage, we embrace and uphold the Christian vision of marriage as a vocation of life and love and believe that at the heart of a healthy marriage is a relationship of astonishing power and richness, for the couple, their children, their wider circle of friends and relations and society.
• We believe that preventing couple separation and maintaining an intact family where healthy relationships can exist is of fundamental importance to the flourishing of family life and society at large.
• We believe that supporting adult couple relationships is a matter of social justice and has the potential to make a real difference to children’s life chances, to adult well being and to the emotional and economic wellbeing of our society.
And we do this by supporting marriage, relationships and family life by offering relationship support to individuals and couples:
• We provide marriage preparation services via group courses and FOCCUS©, an inventory used individually with couples
• We provide relationship counselling services for couples and individuals. We specifically help at the emotional, psychological, sexual and spiritual level.
• Our concern for the quality of adult couple relationships is supported by Government, through which we receive funding to subsidise our services, and our partners in the Relationships Alliance.
• We provide our counselling and marriage preparation services through a local network of committed and professionally trained volunteers based in over 50 centres in England and Wales. The centres are supported by a small paid workforce in our national support team.
• We aim to provide accessible services at a time that people want them, and at affordable rates; we do not charge a fee for our relationship counselling service although we do ask for donations.
We welcome as members of Marriage Care all who can share in this ethos, our values, our passion for relationship education and support and the difference it makes to people’s lives.
We support marriage, relationships and family life by offering:
• A specially designed and thought provoking one day marriage preparation course for up to 10-12 couples planning to marry in the Catholic Church. We also offer a similar course for those planning to marry in other church or civil settings or those wishing to affirm their commitment to a long term relationship.
• As an alternative we offer FOCCUS©; a guided, questionnaire-based exploration of essential relationship know-how for individual couples over two short sessions.
• Face-to-face, completely confidential relationship counselling for individuals or couples delivered through one or more 50 minute sessions.
• Our marriage preparation and relationship counselling practitioners are professionally trained, receive ongoing supervision and continuous professional development training opportunities throughout their tenure with us.
• Our Certificate in Relationship Counselling training course is endorsed by the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP).
• A dedicated telephone appointment booking service.
• A helpline for those in crisis through our partner Family Lives.
- Children / families
- Counselling / advice
- Faith and ethics